Martina
Gian is quite right. But one must try… So you need a strategy to overcome the
stupidity. Why not recommend to your school the superb Mac Oglesby Beam & Spar
dial (equiangular - so correctable for summer time and EoT!). This is designed
for boy scouts/girl guides and involves ropes (children will hang themselves)
and tree climbing (broken legs guaranteed) and - dare I say it - knives (child
murder inevitable). So that is bound to be refused. Now you suggest a gentle
analemmatic in its place and the authorities will melt with happiness at its
simplicity and safety.

Or fight the dead hand of bureaucratic idiocy with its own kind. Do a full risk
assessment of all potential  dangers and provide the strategy required to
overcome each risk. (Sun hats against the sun …. non-poisonous paints … pre-cut
lengths of string … old fashioned supervision of rowdy children … a tool-box
talk etc etc).

My heart goes out to you and I hope you show copies of this e-mail thread to
your head teacher and point out that there are very few things in the current
overcrowd curriculum that can gently and cheaply draw together the diverse
threads of art, history, astronomy, geography, geometry and maths as sundials
in the playground. And they get the children out of the unhealthy atmosphere of
the class room into the great outside.

Good luck  - you have my full support
Kevin Karney