On 15/10/2012 10:48 AM, brick...@62bricks.com wrote:
Online content that is blocked for certain regions can be viewed using a proxy service. There is a simple program called Tunnelbear, available at http://tunnelbear.com , that will allow you to view content that is restricted to the UK. You just download the program, turn it "on" and set it to "UK" and sites like BBC iPlayer will function. The service is free with a monthly data limit.

Using proxy services is common and completely legal

In the context of Mac's question, the above statement seems overly simple to me, and a full answer must depend on the country you live in.

In Canada, using a proxy service is indeed completely legal in itself. However, with the Copyright Moderization Act passed back in September it becomes a crimal offence to "avoid, bypass, remove, deactivate or impair [a] technological protection measure unless it is done with the authority of the copyright owner" where a technological protection measure is defined as "any effective technology, device or component that, in the ordinary course of its operation [...] controls access to a work". The new law is still waiting for Royal Assent but this is expected soon.

In its ordinary course of operation the iPlayer prevents access for non-UK viewing. This control is in place specifically for copyright reasons so, to my way of thinking, in Canada use of a proxy could perhaps be contrued as an attempt to circumvent the protection measure. An analogy might be that although it's OK to posess a screwdriver, it is illegal in Canada to use that screwdriver to remove a neighbour's doorlock to get in order to use the pool while the neighbour is on vacation.

I concede however, that I have no legal training, and of course there's no Case Law in place yet to guide us on how the courts would actually view the practice.

Steve