From: Michael Ossipoff
Sent: Thursday, July 02, 2015 7:40 AM
To: sundial@uni-koeln.de
Subject: Can I share Universal Analemmatic Sundial image?

I know that often one shouldn’t share an organization’s printed materials. Is
it alright to send, to individuals, a copy of one of NASS’s PowerPoint files
with the image of the Universal Analemmatic sun compass?

Taking the question a step farther, it it alright to post it at a forum
discussion of methods for solar direction-finding?

That’s an ingenious device, and I was surprised to find out that it was first
introduced no later than 1660.

The “N” at the noon direction puzzled me at first, until I realized that it was
the direction of a shadow at noon, not the sun.

That sun-compass is a particularly useful, convenient and versatile one,
because it can be used even when it isn’t in the sunlight. If you’re in a car
or train, and shadows of telephone poles are visible outside your window,  then
the device can give north, by showing the angle between north and a shadow’s
direction.

Thanks to NASS and to Fred Sawyer for those images of the Universal Analemmatic
sun-compass.

Michael Ossipoff

26N, 80W