On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 3:24 PM, Dan-George Uza <cerculdest...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Tonight I saw the trailer for "The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the
> Window and Disappeared".
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-k7DUQPHfQ
>
> After the old man climbs out the window at 0:53 he walks past what appears
> to be a cast iron armillary sundial. However, as the equatorial band seems
> to completely circle the globe I think this piece would not show time...at
> least not around the equinoxes!

Sure, some armillaries aren't sundials, but I'm sure that I've seen
armillary sundials that had the equatorial band all the way around. IIf the
band is of uniform width, then it won't tell time when the sun is *exactly*
on the equator, but, even if the declination is the *least bit* non-zero,
the gnomon will have a shadow on the hour-band. So I don't suppose that an
armillary with an equatorial band would lose more than a few days of
time-telling each year.

Besides, maybe the upper part of the equatorial band is narrower than the
lower part, as is sometimes the case.

Michael Ossipoff