The answer is yes, but mainly the esoteric and academic applications to
precision pendulum clocks (although Allan Variance came out of quartz
oscillator analysis).

Electronic measuring and recording methods are necessary. In my case I made and
used an electronic stopwatch method, with radio time signals as a reference, to
take daily readings. For analysis and comparing with other clocks with
comparable data, I calculate Standard Deviation for a sample of 30 days.

Allan Variance is more powerful by comparing short term, medium term and longer
term data, and can differentiate between instrument sample errors, clock
stability and long term drift. The method appeals to mathematicians!

Either way, good source data is essential. Going back to horologists, a
minority discipline. I suspect that you enjoy the subject!

Regards, Doug