In the Hemicyclium discussion, the OP mentioned having 6-inch copper
tubing. So, though it was a bit off-topic, I suggested that the tubing
could be used for an additional, quicker, project, to make a south
windowsill sundial--a Circumference-Aprerture Cylindrical Equatorial Dial.

But, when I said that the axial dimension of the cylinder has to be at
least 0.4335 times the diameter, I neglected the fact that there are south
declinations as well as north declinations. (...funny, because we're in
south declination now) So, with the circumference aperture in the middle of
the cylinder, the cylinder's axial dimension has to be at least twice
0.4335, which is about 0.867 times the diameter.

But my suggestion for marking points of the declination-lines for each hour
was correct:

At any hour-line, the axial displacement of a declination-line from the
equinox-line is equal to the tangent of the declination times the direct
distance between the circumference aperture and the intersection of that
hour-line with the equinox-line

That amounts to:

(Tan dec)(R*2Sin(h) ).

...where h is the number hours from 12 noon.where R is the cylinderr's
radius.

Obviously more neatly written:

(Tan dec)(DSin(h) ).

...where D is the diameter of the cylinder.
-------------------------

But a cone would be better than a cylinder, because it opens toward the
north, the direction from which it would be observed--making it readable
from a wider-range of directions, and making the inside surface more
readable in generral. The use of a cone just slightly more complicates the
declination-lines, but that would take this post even more off-topic.
--------------------------

I mentioned that I'd read of a drinking-cup with a hole in it being used as
a cylindrical sundial. Of course if it were a Cylindrical Equatorial,
orienting it just by estimation wouldn't give very accurate results. (A
Cylindrical Equatorial is supposed to be a *mounted* dial, not a portable
dial).

But actually, maybe they were talking about a Cylindrical *Altitude* Dial.
But, though that avoids the direction-estimation, the drinking-cup would
need a way of hanging it in the right orientation, and so it wouldn't be
much like an ordinary drinking-cup. ...and the line-marking would be
complicated by the non-cylindrical shape of the cup.

Michael Ossipoff