At a time when all watches were mechanical, and a reliable watch wasn't
affordable to all, I sometimes used a portable sundial, a compass-oriented
tablet-dial made from corrugated cardboard and typewriter-paper, with
sewing-thread as the gnomon.

No doubt the more easily built Regiomontanus dial would have been useful
too (except near noon).

Also, the Analemmatic Dial, especially the universal one, makes a good
sun-compass. It's a lot easier to carry a piece of paper or cardboard than
a compass, and a sun-compass is just as usable in a steel car, bus, train,
etc., where a compass would lose accuracy.

But of course nowadays a sundial's main value is aesthetic, and that's the
the reason for the recent resurgence in the popularity of sundials. Why
shouldn't every windowsill have a sundial?

Sundials are interesting and pleasant to have around, or run across
somewhere, regardless of whether there's practical need.

Michael Ossipoff