With a sun dial you can measure at least 24 astronomic, religious and other
parameters: 1. The time of the day; 2. The day of the year; 3 and 4: The
geographic coordinates longitude and latitude of the sundial; 5. The time
equation; 6. The moment of the vernal equinox; 7. The moment of the autumn
equinox; 8. The moment of the summer solstitium; 9. the moment of the winter
solstitium; 10. the moment of the perihelion; 11. the moment of the aphelion;
12. The excentricity of the earth orbital around the sun; 13. The length of the
tropical year; 14. The latitude of the tropics; 15.  The altitude of the sun at
each moment; 16. The azimuth of the sun at each moment; 17.The moment of sun
set; 18.  the moment of the sun rise; 19.  the length of the spring, the
summer, the autumn and the winter; 20. the babylonic time; 21. the Italian
time; 22. The canonic moments (the vespers, the matins,) 23. The moment of the
islamic prayers;  24. The analemma of 12 hours.

The precision of these paramerters depend on the size and the structure of the
sundial and the number of observations, eg. the excentricity of the earth
orbital around the sun ( at this moment e = 0.0167) can be measured with a
simple sundial with an error of less than 1%. You just need much patience...
Sometimes it takes several hunderd measurements ( = some years of daily
observations).

Jos Kint
De Pinte, Belgium