Force the switch that your sun ray on to 100 full or put it on a 10/half hub. Watch the SR go to 10 half and exhibit the exact problems that were explained.

Also, it's well documented that Cisco switches and Sun servers had a serious issue performing auto-neg correctly a few years back. Things have changed for the better on the server side, but on the DTU, you really need to let it auto-neg.

Derek Konigsberg wrote:
Sounds like a duplex mismatch somewhere.

Are you sure the DTU is running @ 100 Full duplex?

You know, it's amazing just how many times people assume it must be a duplex and/or speed auto-negotiation issue whenever we have any sort of network performance issue in Sun hardware. Be it with Sun Rays, NFS being slow talking to something, or just about anything else.

However, I have NEVER EVER EVER had ANY speed/duplex auto-negotiation issues with ANY of the Sun machines I've ever used. In fact, I don't think I've ever had any auto-negotiation issues with any equipment, save that one time I was trying to run copper ethernet over a way-too-long wire from a managed switch to a dumb switch, and had to force it to 10Mbps. (where one would normally have used fiber)

Why is it that everyone assumes this problem is so common? Is there a particular line (or lines) of switches that most Sun administrators use that have poortly designed auto-neg capabilities? (an issue that's never come up with any of the dumb or managed switches I've used, though I'll admit I'm not using the *most expensive* managed switches)

P.S. I do occasionally see JPEG-style compression artifacts on my DTU as well, particularly in the menu bar area, though it is barely noticible. I'm running SRS 3.0, and *do not* have auto-neg problems.

-Derek