Paul,

Unfortunately firefox doesn't have a whole lot of command line options that
work.... I just had to do the same for a sunray setup and while I don't know
if this is the best method, it was real easy to do and worked really well.

1) edit your firefox kiosk script to put a "sleep 1000" after firefox exists.
2) log in as a user and go through the configuration (about:config) and disable
whatever settings give you trouble.
3) exit firefox. At this time the sleep will wait 1000 seconds so you have
enough time to copy the files that would otherwise get erased once your kiosk
session ends.
4) find the user who runs the session and cd to the users directory
5) copy the .mozilla/firefox/profiles.ini and
.mozilla/firefox/<profileid>/prefs.js to the directory that contains your
skeleton of files (set in your kiosk configuration file)
6) kill the sleep - this will return you to the kiosk firefox and you can see
if your settings did what you wanted. If not, continue changing settings.

Don't forget to remove the sleep :)

Peter.