Warner Losh:

I was completely unaware of SIGWINCH being used like this on Linux. It didn't pop up in the quick research I did before implementing this.

But it would have been nice to know this sooner, but I'm OK with later since it isn't much later.

Some sources of information for you, and for anyone else interested:

* The "System event response" section of my system-manager(1). (http://jdebp.eu./Softwares/nosh/guide/system-manager.html or file:///usr/local/share/doc/nosh/system-manager.html if you have the nosh Guide installed)

* The SIGNALS section of Miquel van Smoorenburg's init(8). (http://svn.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/sysvinit/sysvinit/trunk/man/init.8)

* The SIGNALS section of Gerrit Pape's runit(8). (http://smarden.org/runit/runit.8.html)

* The SIGNALS section of systemd(8). (https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.html)

* The doco for signal handling in Joachim Nilsson's finit. (https://github.com/troglobit/finit/blob/master/doc/signals.md)