Guillermo:

 *

    There is a |curses.h| file in both Void's 'standard' headers
    directory and in a subdirectory named '|ncursesw|' (for the narrow
    character and wide character versions of the library,
    respectively). Normally, that would be |/usr/include/curses.h| and
    |/usr/include/ncursesw/curses.h|.

On that score: Those of you who have peeked at 1.38 will possibly have noticed the manual for the new |console-termio-realizer| command, which has a section explaining how it realizes onto terminals. I have some things that I am mulling over.

 *

   The |chkservice| command (also new, and which you might also have
   spotted) uses wide character ncurses.  I am wondering whether it
   should employ |console-termio-realizer|'s mechanism instead.

 * The |monitor-fsck-progress| command uses wide character ncurses, but
   there is no real use case for it running against a terminal that
   does not understand ECMA48 control sequences.  I am wondering
   whether it should employ |console-termio-realizer|'s mechanism instead.
 *

   The only programs that do not explicitly use /wide-character/
   ncurses (and so require the additional slightly different
   development tooling) are |service-status|, and the |start|, |stop|,
   and |reset| subcommands of |system-control|.  And they only employ
   it for colourization, which the ncurses and terminfo models aren't
   particularly good for in the first place.  I am wondering whether
   they too should employ |console-termio-realizer|'s mechanism instead.

The general upshot would be that only |console-ncurses-realizer| ends up using wide character ncurses. Only the one place for patches, and only the one flavour of curses; with the tradeoffs that are given in the |console-termio-realizer| manual.