Hi, thanks for your reply.

I think I understand what you're saying, but I'm a little unclear how I
can unset those CGI specific variables *after* forking since I'm using
system() and like commands which do the fork on their own.  The only
thing I can think of is using the "temporary" environment variables
(like: system("PATH_INFO= PATH_TRANSLATED php --version");) but that
could end up being quite a long command line.  Is there another way and
can you give a code example?

Thanks,
J.D. Tysko
Software Engineer