Karl Anderson wrote:
When I get a pdf attachment and double click it in the attachment
window, I'd like it to open in an external reader window

In both Adobe Reader and Foxit Reader there is a setting in those programs' preferences to make links on Web pages open in an external reader window.

or in a new
seamonkey window. Currently it opens in my most recently used tab,
replacing whatever content was there. PDF links from web pages open in a
new tab or window, but attachments confiscate an existing tab. My
settings are to open external links in a new window, but for some reason
that doesn't control pdf attachments in the mail portion of seamonkey.
How do I get attached pdf files to open in a new window?

An email attachment here opens in the external reader when I double-click it. Try changing the setting in your reader and see what happens.

Windows XP Pro
SeaMonkey 2.0a2
Foxit Reader Pro 3

--