Under Ubuntu 8.10 , I can now browse the Web after upgrading to SeaMonkey 1.1.15.

Editing   /etc/resolv.conf  to add DNS name servers of my ISP,
plus  turning off an alias related to IPv6, plus a reboot gave me a
functioning SeaMonkey 1.1.15 .

The Java plugin doesn't work. In past Linux installations, these plugin problems
were often resolved by modifying symbolic links (symlinks).

My User-Agent string is:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686 (x86_64); en-US; rv:1.8.1.21) Gecko/20090303 SeaMonkey/1.1.15 .

Perhaps someone can point me to a resource for these symlink plugin issues ,
or have other suggestions about getting plugins to work in SeaMonkey.

David Bernier