On 03/31/2009 05:17 PM, Daniel wrote:
> NoOp wrote:

>> I'll have to install into /usr/local/ on a test machine. All of my
>> installs are installed to /home/<user>/Seamonkey or Seamonkey2.
>>
>> Can I ask why you wish to run as root? That is generally *not*
>> recommended for any browser/suite.
>>

> NoOp, I can sort of remember that the instructions for SM say it must be
> run as root the first time to finish the installation.
>
> But don't quote me, things do change!!
>
> Daniel

Nope. There is *no* requirement at all to run SM as root or even to
install in a /usr/local directory. Unfortunately the default install
script is set to /usr/local; there has been considerable discussion in
the past regarding this very issue. All of my systems run SeaMonkey in
~/ and I've encountered no problems with regards to that yet. The only
thing that you need to do is change the install directory when you
initially install - there is a thread here somewhere were I've described
how to do that, if I find time tomorrow I'll see if I can dig it out.

IMO there *never* should be occasion to install SM in a root permissions
based directory/folder. I suspect that this is some type of hangover
from installing system wide. I suppose that there are reasons/instances
where you'd want to install SM on a system-wide basis, however this
should be the exception rather than the rule.