DoctorBill wrote:
I would like to ask for your knowledgeable opinions.

I have been using the "Regular" downloader that comes with SeaMonkey 1.1 when I download (I am on dial-up).

Some time ago, I obtained WinGet 1.9 (Indentix.Inc) and use it periodically.

If you click on this link, you will see a screenshot of the WinGet window as it downloads a file.  from  Indentix

WinGet apparently opens several "ports?" or "Lines?" to the source and downloads via more than one route simultaneously and thus faster..or so they say.

My question is - is what they say true?

I thought that the speed limit for me downloading is the phone line's kbps and not the "dump speed" from the source.

You can see from the screenshot that it had 4 "lines" running and the rate at which they downloaded (slower than hell).

I could download the same large file twice - once with SM DM and again with WinGet and time them...but I'm lazy I suppose.

BTW - I know each of you has a favorite or one you think works better which I probably will not use.

I think the download manager breaks up the downloaded file into several pieces and downloads those. Depending on the set up, but some will download them 5 at a time.

Notice: This posting is protected under the Free Speech Laws, which applies everywhere in the FREE world, except for some strange reason, not to the newsgroup servers, where your posting may get you banned.