Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
John Doue wrote:
Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
Jay Garcia wrote:
On 31.05.2009 18:19, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
--- Original Message ---
Just upgraded from Moz 1.7.13 to SM 1.1.16, and before doing so I
ran Mozilla's profile manager to clean up any extraneous entries.
It prompted me to choose between my current profile and an
imaginary one that AFAICT no longer exists. When I told it to
delete the imaginary one, it said it had been created by "a
previous version of Navigator" and could only be removed by that
program (probably v. 4.5 or so!) -- but of course it was willing to
delist it, so I did that.
When I completed the SeaMonkey installation, the new profile
manager did the same thing -- asked me to choose between a real and
imaginary profile, then agreed to delist the imaginary one.
I've searched and searched my computer and can't find any remnant
of the imaginary profile to remove, so what gives? What do I need
to clean up before the profile managers will stop "detecting" it?
Check "Profiles.ini" in the profiles directory.
No such file anywhere on my computer.
Could it be it is hidden and Windows does not display it?
It is normally located on c:\documents and settings\......\application
data\application data\mozilla\seamonkey. (with ... standing for user's
Nope. I have Windows Explorer set to show hidden and system files. I
even tried revealing hidden OS files, no go.
The directory you specify does not exist. C:\...\Mozilla\ has only one
subdirectory, which is the valid profile, and it contains no other
files. However, there /is/ a \SeaMonkey directory under C:\Program
My original search, described above, had "profiles.ini" as the filespec
and C:\ as the location, with all subdirectories to be searched.
In case it matters, this is WinXP Pro SP3, fully patched.
I hope somebody comes up with a better solution, but I would suggest:
1/ save your "regular" profile directory, mail, bookmarks
2/ uninstall Seamonkey.
3/ search for and delete all directories whose names include Seamonkey,
Mozilla or Netscape (in case you ever used Netscape).
4/ search for and deleted all directories which include a bookmarks.*
file (except of course the backup you just made)
5/ clean your registry using a reputable cleaner (I personally use
6/ Reinstall SM chosing a different directory for the program and see if
your problem is solved.
I do not remember how Netscape and Mozilla handled profiles. It might be
key to solving your problem. I hope Philippe Chee can help here.
support-seamonkey mailing list