Philip Chee wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 11:53:14 -0700, Brian Mailman wrote:
SM 1.1.16 here...
Win XP

I used to be able to move a newsgroup name to where I wanted it by just drag-and-dropping. I've added one and it's at the bottom of the list. I want to move it to near a related group, but dragging-and-dropping isn't working. What should I do?

Prior to SM 2.0a? you couldn't move newsgroups around in the folder
list. You might have been able to do that in Netscape 4x but that was
before my time. I think that there was also an extension that allows you
to do this in Thunderbird and possibly SeaMonkey. If you were using an
extension to move your newsgroups around, then try reinstalling that.

Phil

Find the .rc file associated with that news server and rearrange the
newsgroups in the file using a text editor, like VIM, to your hearts
content.
Remember to completely shut down SM before making your changes,
and to back up the file that you intend to change before you edit it!

For example:
I am subscribed to a news server which I have labeled BSnews.
Edit > Mail & Newsgroup Account settings > BSnews > Server settings
shows me that the associated .rc file is ..xxx.z.rc .
So I shut down SM and go to town.
If you are so inclined  you could introduce fake newsgroups in the .rc
to act as visual separators in the news groups listing.
--
Rostyk