I have Vista and SeaMonkey 1.1.17.

Over the years, I have built up a collection of bookmarks organized by subject, which works for me, but makes it a bit difficult to find a specific bookmark by name, rather than by subject. I didn't bother with updating them, mostly because when I established one, there was no apparent way to set it up to update.

Recently, when I manage a bookmark, I set it up to update late at night on a given day. Alas, the options to mark the icon when there is an update do not appear to work, or at least I cannot find any of these markings. Now I set them to notify me, but if I am not online when the check is run, I get no notice.

Recently I got a laptop and as I travel a lot, I am often online when the update runs, and I get a slew of notices, but I can't find a way to OK them and have the bookmark updated, so I make a bookmark of the new site, but not knowing where I put the original bookmark, I end up with extras.

I am wondering if there is a security reason that I would not want an old bookmark updated automatically, and if not, what would be the best way to have the bookmark automatically updated without interrupting my browsing, possibly annotating the bookmark that it was updated from XX on this date.

So what is the most efficient way to keep bookmarks updated?