More and more frequently, I'm having trouble sending emails.

I'm using SM 1.1.n on about five different machines; earlier I used Mozilla and
Netscape email software so I generally understand how to configure SMTP.

These days my laptop will frequently refuse to send emails when I'm using
someone else's internet connection. And some of my desktop machines suddenly
refuse to send any more emails, even though they're configured identically to
other machines in the very same office that work perfectly.

The help files in SM don't offer much advice, and the company that runs my mail
server claims to never have heard of SM and therefore assigns all blame to SM
(even though I assume the trouble is at their end).

Are there more extensive help files anywhere that might shed light on these
problems?