u...@domain.invalid schrieb:
Martin Feitag wrote:
Eric schrieb:
Martin Feitag wrote:
u...@domain.invalid schrieb:

abook.mab

See<http://seamonkey.ilias.ca/profilefaq/#transferring_addresses>

This link/site says:
To restore that data in a new location, open the SeaMonkey
address
book window, so SeaMonkey creates it's own abook.mab
file. Close
SeaMonkey and replace the newly created abook.mab with your
saved
one.
To restore additional address books, use the Import menu to
import
the
LDIF files you saved.

regards
Martin
Hi Martin (and Chris),

I have the link, and tried hard to follow it, but I must
be doing
something wrong. I tried dragging, transferring, etc., but I
cannot
move
my abook. to my SeaMonkey address book. I tried copying,
and then
pasting, but the "paste" is always grayed out and
non-functional.

I would be most grateful if either of you could walk me
through the
steps that I must take to get these hundreds of addresses
into my
SeaMonkey address book.

Thanks again,

Mort
Hello Mort,

you need to open the Seamonkey addressbook-window just once
and
then
close ALL seamonkey windows. It needs to be completely closed.

Afterwards you need to open the directory of your old
Seamonkey-profile and copy the abook.mab file. Then paste it
into the
new profile-folder.
All this is done within windows while Seamnkey is closed,
not in
Seaonkey itself and not while Seamonkey is open as the files
would be
in use then.
Good luck!

Martin
Why don't you just google Mozilla Backup from Jasnapak? and
install it
on both computers. Then copy the backup file to a thumb drive,
CD, DVD
or however you want to get the backup file to another
computer the
restore it to the new computer?

Eric
This involves copying anyway, so it doesn't really matter if he
copies
a backup or the abook directly ;-P

Martin
Hi again,

I opened up and tried every "profile" on my hard drive, and
could not
move the abook.mab to my SeaMonkey address book. I tried
dragging,
to no
avail. I clicked on copy, but then paste was all grayed out. So
near and
yet so far. I have my e-mail set up so that as I send out a
message, its
address is automatically added to my SeaMonkey address book.
However, my
hundreds of important oldaddresses are still sitting there on my
h.d. in
narrative form.
I'm repeating myself but just to make things clear: you are not
supposed to drag it on your seamonkey addessbook. You are supposed
to drag/copy it from a folder to another folder in windows itsself
(from your old profile to your new profile).
This is just normal copying of a file, it does _not_ involve a
running seamonkey at that time. Have you done exactly that?
regards

Martin

Hi Martin,

I appreciate your help and patience. I did try to take your advice
re. old and new SeaMonkey profiles in Windows XP with SeaMonkey
closed. The closest I came is to find a "SeaMonkey Profile Manager"
which said:
Available Profiles:

default
Mort
Mort app
Mort app ff
Mort local ff

My usual user name is Mort. Right clicking gives nothing, and left
clicking on any of these just opens SeaMonkey. I simply cannot find
my profiles (old, new?) to copy the abook.mab to.As things are, the
old abook.mab file on my hard drive is in narrative form and
thereby
almost useless. The current SeaMonkey Address Book has only
about 30
recent addresses.

Thanks again.

Mort

P.S. For some reason, my laptop refuses to copy sent messages, to
this group only, to my sent folder, and gives my sender name as
invalid or similar. It works to all other recipients. Weird.
Yes it involves copying, but the interface is usually cleaner.

Mort,

If you back up all the profiles and transfer them, then you you
should have everything moved from one computer to the other.

What you are looking for is a file folder with .slz file extension,
however that changes from installation to installation, and for some
unknown reason, I've seen through out many newsgroups, the files
don't play well together.

I wish you luck in your future attempts.

Eric
and, of course, Mort, Eric meant the file extension to be .slt and
the
changes he talks about are that the file name maybe something like
fxgjht5j.slt in one case and something like dsf67kgh.slt in the other
installation. No great problem.

Daniel
Hi Daniel and Eric,

Thanks again for the further help. I'll pursue it as per your
suggestions, and if not successful, I'll have to quit.

Mort
Have a look here: http://seamonkey.ilias.ca/profilefaq/
It lists all common profile locations.
regards

Martin

Hi Martin,

Thanks. I've been to that site, but it did not help. I have an old
address book sitting on my hard drive with abook.mab,in narrative
form, not apparently in any folder or profile.I cannot drag it or
copy and paste it into my current SeaMonkey Address Book. I've tried
every imaginable method, with no success.

Mort
Mine is here:
C:\Documents and Settings\RAY\Application
Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\gt6bfqi6.slt\abook.mab
Hi Ray,

I found my equivalent folder to yours, and it has lots of stuff in it,
but 2 items are absent: SeaMonkey, and Address Book. So, once more, I
have an old address book file in narrative form under abook.mab on my
hard drive. I have a recent address book in SeaMonkey, in + and _ form,
with only about 30 addresses in it. I have tried every way imaginable to
move the old address book file abook.mab into the new address book in
SeaMonkey, but it won't move; it won't drag, it won't paste after
copying, and I'm stuck.

Thanks again.

Mort

Take your abook.mab from your harddrive and copy it.
Then open the directory of your new Seamoney profile and paste the file
there.

Martin
Hi,

Thanks again. As I said before, the "paste" is grayed out and won't respond, so I can copy but it won't paste.

Mort