u...@domain.invalid schrieb:
Martin Feitag wrote:
Eric schrieb:
Martin Feitag wrote:
u...@domain.invalid schrieb:

>> abook.mab
>> See<http://seamonkey.ilias.ca/profilefaq/#transferring_addresses>
This link/site says:
To restore that data in a new location, open the SeaMonkey address
book window, so SeaMonkey creates it's own abook.mab file. Close
SeaMonkey and replace the newly created abook.mab with your saved
one.
To restore additional address books, use the Import menu to import
the
LDIF files you saved.

regards
Martin
Hi Martin (and Chris),

I have the link, and tried hard to follow it, but I must be doing
something wrong. I tried dragging, transferring, etc., but I cannot
move
my abook. to my SeaMonkey address book. I tried copying, and then
pasting, but the "paste" is always grayed out and non-functional.

I would be most grateful if either of you could walk me through the
steps that I must take to get these hundreds of addresses into my
SeaMonkey address book.

Thanks again,

Mort

Hello Mort,

you need to open the Seamonkey addressbook-window just once and then
close ALL seamonkey windows. It needs to be completely closed.

Afterwards you need to open the directory of your old
Seamonkey-profile and copy the abook.mab file. Then paste it into the
new profile-folder.
All this is done within windows while Seamnkey is closed, not in
Seaonkey itself and not while Seamonkey is open as the files would be
in use then.
Good luck!

Martin

Why don't you just google Mozilla Backup from Jasnapak? and install it on both computers. Then copy the backup file to a thumb drive, CD, DVD
or however you want to get the backup file to another computer the
restore it to the new computer?

Eric

This involves copying anyway, so it doesn't really matter if he copies
a backup or the abook directly ;-P

Martin
Hi again,

I opened up and tried every "profile" on my hard drive, and could not
move the abook.mab to my SeaMonkey address book. I tried dragging, to no avail. I clicked on copy, but then paste was all grayed out. So near and yet so far. I have my e-mail set up so that as I send out a message, its address is automatically added to my SeaMonkey address book. However, my hundreds of important oldaddresses are still sitting there on my h.d. in
narrative form.

I'm repeating myself but just to make things clear: you are not supposed to drag it on your seamonkey addessbook. You are supposed to drag/copy it from a folder to another folder in windows itsself (from your old profile to your new profile). This is just normal copying of a file, it does _not_ involve a running seamonkey at that time. Have you done exactly that?
regards

Martin

Hi Martin,

I appreciate your help and patience. I did try to take your advice re. old and new SeaMonkey profiles in Windows XP with SeaMonkey closed. The closest I came is to find a "SeaMonkey Profile Manager" which said:
Available Profiles:

default
Mort
Mort app
Mort app ff
Mort local ff

My usual user name is Mort. Right clicking gives nothing, and left clicking on any of these just opens SeaMonkey. I simply cannot find my profiles (old, new?) to copy the abook.mab to.As things are, the old abook.mab file on my hard drive is in narrative form and thereby almost useless. The current SeaMonkey Address Book has only about 30 recent addresses.

Thanks again.

Mort

P.S. For some reason, my laptop refuses to copy sent messages, to this group only, to my sent folder, and gives my sender name as invalid or similar. It works to all other recipients. Weird.

Yes it involves copying, but the interface is usually cleaner.

Mort,

If you back up all the profiles and transfer them, then you you should have everything moved from one computer to the other.

What you are looking for is a file folder with .slz file extension, however that changes from installation to installation, and for some unknown reason, I've seen through out many newsgroups, the files don't play well together.

I wish you luck in your future attempts.

Eric

and, of course, Mort, Eric meant the file extension to be .slt and the changes he talks about are that the file name maybe something like fxgjht5j.slt in one case and something like dsf67kgh.slt in the other installation. No great problem.

Daniel