DoctorBill wrote:
>Once in a while when I click on some site with info,
>everything stops, a "tab" will form and it turns out
>to be Adobe Reader downloading a pdf file.
>
>Why does the browser lock up ?
>Can't stop it, can't move out of it - I have to set there and wait.

Browsers that are more modern
--Webkit-based Safari, Konqueror, Google Chrome
and even (yeech) Trident-based Internet Exploder 8[1]--
don't have this problem because they are "multi-process";
the current incarnation of Gecko is only "multi-threaded".

There are rumors that Gecko developers will address this.
Until then, handle these using a download manager.
.
.
[1] ...but none of those has the extension infrastructure
that Gecko does.