Ever since DLing one of the recent versions of SM, every time I click on
a wmv file on the web, instead of playing the video in WM Player, it
gives me a page of gibberish text that looks like raw code, then hangs
the browser where I have to close it to stop it.

I'm using SM 1.1.17.

When I look at "About plugins" it says:

Windows Media Player Plug-in Dynamic Link Library

    File name: npdsplay.dll
    Npdsplay dll

MIME Type       Description     Suffixes        Enabled
application/asx         Media Files     *       Yes
video/x-ms-asf-plugin   Media Files     *       Yes
application/x-mplayer2  Media Files     *       Yes
video/x-ms-asf  Media Files     asf,asx,*       Yes
video/x-ms-wm   Media Files     wm,*    Yes
audio/x-ms-wma  Media Files     wma,*   Yes
audio/x-ms-wax  Media Files     wax,*   Yes
video/x-ms-wmv  Media Files     wmv,*   Yes
video/x-ms-wvx  Media Files     wvx,*   Yes