Avraham wrote:

I've installed both Shockwave_Installer_Slim.exe and install_flash_player.exe from the Adobe site. No luck, CNN (and every other flash page I've tried) still tells me I need to install the plugin.

Don't know what else to tell you. In the past, I've solved this by reinstalling both, but I remember thinking it was a problem with their sniffers, because a perfectly normal installation would suddenly start getting rejected for no good reason.

At the moment, my browser (SM 1.1.16) is at a CNN video page, and I have a big black rectangle with "Loading..." beneath it, no complaint about my Flash plugin. But it sure is taking an awful damn long time to load (more than 10 minutes with a broadband connection).
<http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/tech/2009/09/18/sot.panama.mystery.creature.cnn>

Adobe has a test page here:
<http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/> (Flash)
(nothing I can find for Shockwave)