Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
Avraham wrote:

I've installed both Shockwave_Installer_Slim.exe and install_flash_player.exe from the Adobe site. No luck, CNN (and every other flash page I've tried) still tells me I need to install the plugin.

Don't know what else to tell you. In the past, I've solved this by reinstalling both, but I remember thinking it was a problem with their sniffers, because a perfectly normal installation would suddenly start getting rejected for no good reason.

At the moment, my browser (SM 1.1.16) is at a CNN video page, and I have a big black rectangle with "Loading..." beneath it, no complaint about my Flash plugin. But it sure is taking an awful damn long time to load (more than 10 minutes with a broadband connection). <http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/tech/2009/09/18/sot.panama.mystery.creature.cnn>

Adobe has a test page here:
<http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/> (Flash)
(nothing I can find for Shockwave)

That test page says "You have version 9,0,124,0 installed". But when looking at about:plugins I can only find Shockwave Flash

File name: NPSWF32.dll
Shockwave Flash 9.0 r124

MIME Type                       Description     Suffixes Enabled
application/x-shockwave-flash   Adobe Flash movie       swf     Yes
application/futuresplash        FutureSplash movie      spl     Yes

So it seams like you only need Shockwave Flash to also have the Flash Player, but never less I can't see flash movies on a lot of sites. But that movie on CNN you have link to is no problem.

Many newspaper sites has a weird way to code the video pages and sniff for the browser, so with SM you can't get the movies loading. When I complained to my local newspapers about this, they added a text link directly to the file on their video pages. And that is even better to see the video at a 1000 pixels Media Player window than at the 400 pixels embedded file. ;)

--
/Arne