With patience akin to a cat's, NoOp, on 10/9/2009 6:57 PM typed:
On 10/09/2009 06:17 PM, D. K. Kraft wrote:
From a security standpoint, and IMO, cookie management in SM 2.0RC1
has been markedly downgraded from the level available in 1.1.18.  In
the latter, a user is able to set options for both first- and
third-party cookies, as well as specifics regarding website privacy
policies for both types of cookies. SM 2.0RC1 completely removes the
the ability to configure cookie management based on privacy options,
leaving a user with only the option of allowing all cookies, which is
unacceptable for those who wish to reject third-party cookies, or
only allowing cookies from the originating website, a blanket option
that is often too severe a restriction on some websites for which
allowing session third-party cookies of certain types is helpful and
acceptable.

Perhaps you are referring to the missing 'Allow cookies based on privacy
settings' that was available in 1.1.x?

Exactly.  Apologies if that wasn't clear.  I probably should have listed
the setting option title specifically.

No idea why it was removed, but seems consistent with the Firefox 3.x UI
and code.

Erm, and this is why I find Firefox unusable from a security standpoint where
cookies are concerned.  FF's cookie management has been dumbed down from its
early inception.  If SM will be truly inheriting this lobotomy due to the
backend change (if that is the definitive cause), it will be very unfortunate
and very frustrating.

<small snip of original message>

I've searched Bugzilla, but have been unable to find a specific bug
regarding this UI option.  If anyone can point me in the right
direction, I would appreciate it, since I would like to vote and add
my comments regarding this security setting.

Nor could I using
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=cookie+manager
So file a bug & see what turns up.

Guess I'll have to make that leap soon.  I was waiting to see if there would be
more detailed feedback of the technical kind.

Thanks for the input --
--
     /\ /\                           | "No. Heaven will not ever Heaven be
     ^o o^    D.K. "Cat" Kraft       |  unless my cats are there to welcome