John Doue wrote:

Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
> wrote:

How do I block e-mail from a certain e-mail address? I have seamonkey and pop mail

Two basic approaches:

1) If your ISP offers this option, set up a filter on the server so the messages get trashed before you ever download them. This may be relevant: <>

2) Set up a filter on your local machine that moves the targeted messages to trash whenever you download them. Ideally, it also marks them as read. Click the account name in the folder list and choose "Manage message filters."

The advantage of the first option is efficiency/elegance -- you don't waste time and resources downloading and then trashing them, and you can't possibly be annoyed by something you never see. The disadvantage is that it's permanent and unrecoverable (unless we're talking about a system that doesn't purge messages from trash until they've been there for a week or so).

The advantage of the second option is that you can periodically scan through your trash to make sure you're not filtering legitimate messages; as above, this relies on your trash-emptying settings. For example, my machine is set to empty trash on exit, so if I want the opportunity to review, I have to either do so before exiting or filter to junk, where messages survive for a week. The disadvantage of the second option, conversely, is that you spend time and resources downloading junk, and you might be tempted to view it and aggravate yourself.

I agree with this analysis but I would suggest a third approach as an alternative to the first Paul suggests since I believe (might be wrong though) most ISPs limit the filtering possibility to Web mail.

Various ISPs offer the user various capabilities; since I'm not an sbcglobal subscriber I can only speculate.

In my case, my company's web host (Hostway) affords the ability to view email through a webmail interface or to download it by the conventional POP method. I can even do both with a particular message -- view it through the webmail interface, leave it in the Inbox, and then download it later through POP mail.

They also offer a customizable filtering system called CleanMail Plus, whereby I can white- or blacklist potential senders, overriding their general spam-filtering system. And I can set the aggressiveness of the spam-filtering system as well.

To get my mail, I personally subscribe to a mail service (spamcop) which provides a lot of possibilities. Among them, the possibility to block certain addresses. The corresponding emails (along with emails considered as spam by spamcop) are stored on a specific directory of the server for a certain period of time (not sure, but 30 days I believe) with the possibility to release them. The user just needs to visit spamcop site to review and decide on the necessary action.

In spamcop settings, it is possible to stipulate a periodic reporting of such held mail which helps the user review held mail without having to login.

Of course, I have no interest in advertizing spamcop, I am just a very satisfied user. And of course also, there is a cost for this service (around $30.00 IIRC), well worth it in my opinion.

And the end of the day, this approach combines the advantages of the two offered by Paul. But unless you are willing to take the risk of missing some emails which could be important, some time has to be dedicated, one way or the other, to the reviewing emails ...

I generally try to limit my use of filtering on the server because of its unrecoverability. With a broadband connection, it's little skin off my nose to download and filter to junk, and I do periodically scan the subject/author lines in the junk folder to make sure I'm not filtering legitimate messages. I have a dozen or so addresses blacklisted on the server, but those people have gone above and beyond the call of doody and earned this treatment.

Our ISP's spam filter does a pretty good job; with SM's Junk folder set to purge messages when they reach an age of seven days, it normally has 30-40 messages awaiting deletion, with an overall traffic level of 300-400 incoming messages per business day and 100 per day on weekends.

Paul B. Gallagher