With patience akin to a cat's, KristleBawl, on 10/17/2009 5:10 PM typed:
D. K. Kraft wrote:
Further testing of SM 2.0 RC1 behavior on Win XP SP3 with a migrated
profile from SM 1.1.18:

In 1.1.18, when a message has been viewed (e.g. clicked on), it is
automatically (and logically) marked as "read." This is true for both
mail and news.

SM 2.0 RC1 doesn't follow the above behavior, instead keeping a viewed
message as "unread" no matter how many times it's clicked upon. I have
the pref regarding auto-marking a message as read (Mail & Newsgroups |
Message Display | General | Automatically mark messages as read)
unticked, as I don't want messages to be marked as read until I've read
them. Be that as it may, 2.0 *should not* be behaving in the observed
fashion AFAICT--messages *should* be marked as "read" once they have been

In comparison, 1.1.18 only has a time interval setting for marking
messages (Wait [] seconds before marking a message as read), and it's
unclear if this pertains to automatically doing so, or doing so after a
message has been viewed. Since I've never used this pref in SM 1.1.x, I
can't speak to a comparison of behavior.

See if this applies.
Want to entirely disable marking a message as read when viewed

Good try, but it pertains to Thunderbird, not SM 2.0 (even though some of
Thunderbird's options are now *in* SM 2.0).  But this situation isn't even a
ghost of a bug, as I have found out to my extreme mortification.  It's an epic
fail on my part to comprehend the pref under Mail & Newsgroups | Message
Display | General, which is the following (where [] represents a checkbox, and
() a radio button):

[] Automatically mark messages as read:
      () Immediately on display

To get the behavior I have now with 1.1.18--where a message is marked as read
*upon display*--I need to check that checkbox and tick the radio button.

[bangs head on keyboard]

Epic fail on follows instructions.  Epic fail on reading instructions.  I
think I need to take a break, step back, and not try so hard...  Or

And I'm supposed to be the schmart one in my family --
     /\ /\                           | "No, Heaven will not ever Heaven be
     ^o o^    D.K. "Cat" Kraft       |  unless my cats are there to welcome
       ~      Lynnwood, WA           |               -- Epitaph on a pet
___oOO___OOo___                      |                  cemetery gravestone