On 11/23/2009 6:54 AM, JD wrote:
> SM2. I have a question about the History Preference in the browser.
>
> What I was seeing was a very long list when I typed locations into the
> Location Bar. I want a shorter list there. There are three settings of
> interest to me:
>
> Always remember visited pages for at least [__] days
> I reset it to 7 days.
>
> Remember visited pages for up to [__] days
> I reset this to 3 days.
>
> What is the difference between the above two settings? I'm reading Help
> but maybe it's too early in the morning for me to see a difference?
>
> Remember up to [__] visited pages
> This is currently set for 40,000 pages. That seems a little high to me.
> It's default is to remember forty thousand visited pages? And what's the
> difference between this setting and the other two?
>
> I figure this all depends on my browsing habits. For example, I'll
> probably visit Amazon.com once a month and I like to type in is Amazon.
> I might go to TigerDirect.com every three months and all I need to type
> in is TigerDirect. Right now, when I type those in I'm seeing every
> TigerDirect web page I've visited in my lifetime and two previous
> lifetimes. I'm kidding about that previous lifetimes but I do get a very
> long list that drops down under the Location Bar.
>
> So what would be a better starting place for the above three settings?

When I read the Help information for these preferences, I get the
following impressions.

        Always remember visited pages for at least [__] days
This means that, even if you exceed the number of visited pages or you
have pages older than the number of days in the next specification, none
younger than the specified number of days will be deleted.

        Remember visited pages for up to [__] days
This means that pages older than the specified number of days will be
automatically deleted.  This is overridden by the previous specification.

To make sense of this -- if I am correct -- the number of days in the
first specification should be equal to or less than the number of days
in the second specification.

SeaMonkey 1.1.18 did not have this confusion.  It merely had the single
preference
        Remember visited pages for the last [__] days
There were no preferences for the count of pages or for "at least" or
"up to".

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>