Robert Kaiser wrote:
Leonidas Jones wrote:
In a wor, yes. The form manager was left out, ant Phil Chee explained
why. He also posted here that the form manager is being reconsidered,
which is a good thing.

Just as a note, I think it's clear to most people here, but I want to
clearly state that we're of course not bringing the old form manager
back - what we are considering (and we talked about that from the first
minute, releasing 2.0 at all was just higher priority) is to
integrate/adopt/build a new form data management that allows viewing,
searching and deleting stored form data, similar (perhaps basing on)
that existing add-on out there (can't remember the name right now) - you
probably know which one I'm talking about.

Also, we might look into possibilities to fill out multiple form fields
with saved data at once, but we can't guarantee we find or adopt a good
solution for that.

I think that's exactly what Philip explained, just wanted to make that
clear to put into perspective what "is being reconsidered" means here.

And, this is of course stuff for a 2.1, which still has a few months
until it comes out, and, also of course, help from you in the community
is highly wanted on this!

Robert Kaiser

I am not say bring back the old code. That's silly.
What I am saying is for two or three sit down and run SM 1.1.18 and the Forms Manager (and other options) and see what it actually does. If I could figure out how to open a copy without downloading some emails I would have to copy over, I'd open the old forms Manager and takes some screen shots.

I am all for progress and if you can come up with new code to mimic it great. What gets at my craw is because the developers don't use a Feature they assume no one use that feature.

What needs to be done is when creating a design is a year before the new design is to hit the air waves is is for the old version be opened and each menu item and preference be documented on paper and Items that would be useful for the messes of users figure out a way to do the same or similar in the new one.

The forum Manager must have been useful for even FireFox, or some enterprising young person (or creaky old man for that matter) would not have come up with an extension. As soon as I found out about forms history Manager I downloaded it and installed it, in a Heart beat. It is not quite as easy to use as the previous, but I will make do. I have no choice.

The problem with software design is everyone takes a meat axe approach whacking way and removing anything and everything the developers don't like, or don't use and see no use for. when the should be using a scalpel approach. Features were originally put in for a purpose. To make the user life better when using a browser or email Client. Developers should think like end users. Especially open Source developers where they are coding for the users; as opposed to the investors, and BOD, rather than the customers for purchased software.

One reason I am such a poster boy for Forms Manager. Is I unlike most here are, I am not perfect. I make typing mistakes all the time. especially since I am a hunt and peck typist. I went to school back in the day when your manhood was question if you took typing, and I never was any great shakes at English, composition, and especially spelling. So it very easy and quite common to make mistakes in spelling. In fact with the Forms history extension I've already corrected a bunch of mistakes and need to run it again to tweak some more as I've added more entries.

As an example I was a big fan of intuits Quicken from the day it was first introduced. I have quit using it in last few years when they changed the file format the banks were suppose to use to send and receive information about my accounts, to my quicken software. Well my bank is many of the 100's if not thousands of Banks that have refused to switch over. First because that means new software they must deploy and previously Intuit was just supplying it now they have to pay hundreds of dollars for it. Quicken has lost a big following.

mailto:pjon...@kimbanet.com