Phillip Jones wrote:
Rufus wrote:
Phillip Jones wrote:
Martin Freitag wrote:
Graham schrieb:

It's that bad.

No, not THAT bad. ;-P

First there's the need to provide your master password when you start
it. Yes, I know it's been complained about at length, but how on earth
could something like that slip through the development process? Do the
developers not use master passwords?

If it only asks once, what'S your problem?
Is it possible that you have fetching mails on start without opening
MailNews enabled in the preferences and it needs your Master-PW for that?

If you have a Master Password set, it is supposed to ask as soon as you
open SM. What some are complaining of is that they never/ever had a
Password set and that now they are required to supply one.

Now you do need to supply you user name and password for each of your
email addresses but your supposed to have SM to save those the first
time so that you don't have to supply them each time you open your
mailboxes.

-------------------snip-------------------

When and how SM asks for your Master really depends (or should depend)
on how you have your prefs set - for ex.; I'm set for SM to ask for the
Master the first time it's required, so it should not ask at startup
because you haven't done anything - unless your Home page has a stored
password for login, it should wait the user polls for new mail/messages
in Mail/News, or visits a site with a stored password.  So in theory, a
user should be able to go for a whole session without ever having SM ask
for the Master depending on what he's doing.  But that doesn't seem to
be the case, and I had to do the about:config workaround in spite of my
Pref settings when I upgraded to 2.0.

At least that's how it worked at one point, and it got broken sometime
prior to and during SM 1.1.18, when SM started asking for my Master
seemingly at random - and freezing the app; example - if I'm in the
middle of trying to download something with a dialog box up, SM will
often ask for my Master when it's not required and freeze - I have to do
a Force Quit and start over.  So far, I can't recall seeing this happen
with 2.x.x - at least not the freezing part.

I have set the first time its needed. But it ask for Mater Password as soon as SeaMonkey is opened. Always worked for me this way in Communicator, Mozilla, and SeaMonkey 1.1.x why should it change now.

And yes my Username and password are required to go into my email accounts. And I have SeaMonkey set to remember them so that I don't have to enter them.

That's my point - it shouldn't, unless you're in a situation as I described above. I remember when it didn't work the way it's working now with 2.x.x (my 1.1.18 install never asks/asked at startup)...but the about:config workaround makes it work the way it should, and that's good enough. For now.

--
     - Rufus