Margo Guda wrote:

Phillip Jones wrote:
Margo Guda wrote:

Phillip Jones wrote:
Margo Guda wrote:

Phillip Jones wrote:
Margo Guda wrote:
Not too long ago, I wrote about a problem when starting SM2.01 where I
would
not get my home pages loaded. It seemed to resolve itself when I did a
disk
clean.
However, the problem is back, and it is worse than ever.
Whatever startup option, either for the browser startup or just a new
window, and whatever option - home page, current selected group of
tabs,
previous session... - all of them produce only a single blank tab. The
same
thing happens when I try to open a link from my desktop or from another
program. Or when I click on a saved web page.
What's worse is I then tried to create a new profile and see if it the
problem persisted. The first time I started SM in this new profile it
ran as
expected. There was of course no home page, so I set one and tried to
restart SM. NOTHING at all happened. It would not even bring up the
profile
manager. Reinstalling also did not help. What finally brought SM back
up was
removing the profiles.ini file from the profiles directory. The newly
created profile has the same problem as the old one, so I had the new
profiles.ini reference my existing profile and removed the two other
ones.
I have now tried to install an extra copy of SM in a new location. I'm
getting the same results. Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance.

Its a Bug.
there are two ways it will happen. you can over come it but it always
comes back.

If you happen to not have Preference>  Appearance>  Browser and Mail&
news both checked. It is guaranteed that you will see this.

And when you go to the section Browser make sure that the name for your
Home page doesn't have an extra space.

I do have both Browser and Mail&News checked. and both of them do
start up.
And I do have the problem. Not only when starting, but any new browser
window.
In about:config I cannot find any extra spaces in my home page names. Is
there another place I should check where an extra space could be hiding?

If it's a bug that can be overcome I could live with it but now it's
really
bothersome.

Margo

Try go to your home page after seeing about:blank

then try going to Preferences>  Browser in the new Box for desired page
delete the URL for your home page remove all characters including spaces
and any returns.

next click use click use current page.

next quit out preferences. Quit out of SeaMonkey.

restart SeaMonkey. Should go to your home page.

should last about next 10 or so start ups. and you'll have to do it again.

No such luck. I never got to my homepage. It just starts with the blank tab.

Put in your home page where the about:blank is then go to it. The go to
preference Browser and set up your Home page.

I don't follow this last instruction. When I start up the browser, or a new
window, the blank tab shows about:blank as its location. But this is not
listed in my preferences as the home page. I have a group of tabs, and those
are all in the list. I did what you suggested earlier, and edited that box,
and used the current page as my home page. (blank). Then I found my tabs
again and loaded them, and again made the current group my home page.
Between each such change I OKed out of preferences then out of SM, and
restarted. The only thing I ever see is the about:blank tab I described.
BTW I have also tried - in yet another location - a later version, 2.1
a1pre. I tried it with the same profile. Here, there is no problem with the
home page loading or the back navigation button working. I am not convinced
I'll switch though, as too many add-ons are not compatible.

In The go to box (window) where about:blank type in your Homepage URL (example: in place of about:blank type http://www.kimbanet.com (using my ISP in the example)
Hit return.
wait for home page to load
go to preferences > Browser and in the Home page box delete what's there. then click on use current page.

mailto:pjon...@kimbanet.com