RGrannus wrote:
Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
MCBastos wrote:
Interviewed by CNN on 8/1/2010 21:21, Phillip Jones told the world:
RGrannus wrote:
Some older emails that I wanted to keep were deleted today when the keep
for so many days option was reset.  Is there any way to recover them?
If you actually emptied the trash (waste basket for PC's-I guess) no!

if they were just moved to trash but not emptied then open Trash folder and pull them out.

Actually, even if they were double-deleted (that is, deleted from the
Trash by using the "delete" command, but *not* by using the "empty
trash" command) it might, I said MIGHT be possible to recover them... by
manually editing the Trash file with a text editor and some knowledge of
internal structure of MBOX files.

In the same way, it *might* be possible to undelete them from the
original mail folder as long as it hasn't been compacted yet.

I did it a couple times, so I can say it's possible. But it's not
exactly easy.

But be careful -- I have all my accounts set to empty trash on exit, so if I should happen to close SeaMonkey (as a way of avoiding contention for the same file), I would lose the opportunity to do what you describe. If the OP's in the same position, he should either

a) copy the trash file in Windows Explorer, modify the copy, and then move the (renamed) copy back to the SM profile where SM will "discover" it as a new folder; or

b) clear the "empty trash on exit" option before closing SM and then feel free to work with the trash file as he sees fit.

Thanks for the tip. But where are the trash and mail files? I can't find them anywhere under the SeaMonkey folder.

If you are using a windows based operating system, look down a path similar to this one, where Michael Test is the current profile folder containing your preferences and Mail Folders.

C:\Documents and Settings\Michael\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\Michael Test (Followed by k34vfrt.slt), the slt folder is the name of the current profile.

Keep in mind that with SM 1.1x when you upgrade your profiles folder are not touched, only the Moxilla Programs folders and files are upgraded.

Michael