Rufus wrote:
Leonidas Jones wrote:
Phillip Jones wrote:
Manuel Reimer wrote:
Phillip Jones wrote:
That would Be bad for Mac if we had to go to command line as we would
have go into UNIX and use terminal. That's something I don't wish to
do.
In Terminal if you don't know what your doing, you can erase the hard
drive in a heart beat without knowing what your doing.

That's how unix works. It does what you say and if you say "delete this
hard drive", it does so without asking silly questions like "are you
sure?".

'tis not such a silly question, for people who never use it. or are just
getting started. Now if you have run UNIX 20 years or more, you should
know all the commands, and therefore you will never make a mistake. (or
would it be possible?)

  From what I've been reading on the dev.planning newsgroup. They are
bound and determined to do it coming Hxxx or highwater regardless of
what users say. If you follow the thread on the issue the vast majority
of poster don't want it removed. But the vast majority of the developers
posting to same thread are bound and determined to get it done. Some say
it will be just for testing purposes then when the real thing comes out
it will be put back. They say that, then when it comes to rolout of end
user version . opps , oh we forgot to put that back in. while under
their breath they are are saying under their breath (ha!Ha!ha1 we fooled
you good didn't we.)

Or in other words: "For Windows problems reboot, for Unix problems be
root" ;-)

If the final solution really will be a command line switch, then it
should be possible to fork the old dialogs and hook them up somehow to
the new interface, but let's wait for the final solution.

There are already many *real* problems/bugs in SeaMonkey 2.0.x, which
should be fixed.

CU

Manuel

It is true that for old line Mac OS users, those who began with Mac
Classic OS's, the Terminal is a very, very foreign concept.

Lee

...heh...us former DOS 1.0 users and FORTRAN coders get the concept, but
actually use the Terminal window?..nahhh...not without guidance from
above and beyond...

...every time I get confused on a win-doze machine I usually think "how
would I do this in DOS?"..and resolve my problem.

The most Dangerous thing we had in OS9 which was C+ C++ and objective C was ResEdit when I was using OS 9 and lower All the time I could do things in ResEdit to fix problems. I've bee away from OS9 I wouldn't begin to know how to use it. And when OSX came out using BSD UNIX and FreeBSD UNIX and Terminal I had good sense not to mess with it. I have used it a time or two but only I copy and pasted code I was given. In the Day's of DOS I had to reformat many a Drive, and reinstall software after teachers and student's alike accident typed init at the wrong time.

So using a low level command is unrealistic for Mac users.

mailto:pjon...@kimbanet.com