In <news:jdqdnvfocfa03otwnz2dnuvz_rudn...@mozilla.org>,
Daniel <d...@albury.nospam.net.au> wrote:

> »Q« wrote:
> > In<news:ztadnakzkalv_ujwnz2dnuvz_vydn...@mozilla.org>,
> > Daniel<d...@albury.nospam.net.au>  wrote:

> > When the References header becomes large enough, some clients start
> > removing some of the message-ids from it, but what you describe
> > should never happen.  The 23rd message in a branch should at least
> > have the mid of the OP and the mid of its parent (the 22nd
> > message).  Some of the mids in between may be dropped.

> Q, in the browser window, after a days browsing, you could go to the
> Back Buttons Drop Down and, at a hop, go back up to ten or a dozen
> pages, and then go back another ten or a dozen pages, and then go
> back....well, I'm sure you get my point.

That's because the browser has all your history.  The point of my post
was that the References header doesn't always have all of a post's
antecedents' mids.  (But I don't know if that's why you don't get the
kind of view you want or not.)

> On those few occasions when a thread goes on and on, a similar set up
> would be o.j.... if I'm 46 messages deep in a thread, maybe across
> the top SM could show "40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45" and then when I select
> message 40, across it's top it could show "30, 31, 32, ....39, 40",
> etc, so I could go all the way back in several steps.

There aren't guidelines about which mids get dropped.  There's no
guarantee that the six immediate antecedents' mids are available in the
References header.

> As I have my SM set up as "View, Sort, Threaded", I can just as
> easily click up the thread in the messages pane, but for others that
> may be set up unthreaded, having this means of going back, and
> forward, could be useful.

Going forward is even trickier, unless the client has indexed the posts
so that there's a database containing a post's children as well.  Even
so, threads branch, so moving down them isn't nearly as simple as
moving up them.

--
                                      ASCII Ribbon Campaign      \ /