cmcadams schrieb:
Robert Kaiser wrote:
cmcadams schrieb:
A question for the developers: In the installation there's a target
field, displaying the default target, with a Browse button beside it.
WHY is that button there if you already KNOW installing to an
alternative destination will likely fail?

It isn't likely to fail - UNLESS you install OVER an old SeaMonkey
version.

Robert Kaiser

Which it wasn't. And this is an ancient problem, as I discovered when
filing a bugzilla report. Migration doesn't work in certain
circumstances, period.

We know that it sometimes fails, we also know that those cases probably have no connection to the installation location, though.

And we got good data on one spaceific case of failure which we could narrow down to a crash and fix in 2.0.3 - if we get consistent data on where the failure happens, we can try and get it fixed. "Migrations fails if it's dawn and the weather is nice" unfortuantely can't easily be narrowed down to a specific problem in our software. Unfortunately, many bug reports read somewhat like that.

Robert Kaiser