cmcadams wrote:
Robert Kaiser wrote:
cmcadams schrieb:
Leonidas Jones wrote:
u...@domain.invalid wrote:
cmcadams wrote:
/snip/

Okay, that worked. Thank you very much.

For those who might Google this in the future, I copied the CONTENTS of
1.1.18's *.slt folder (not the folder itself, but from within the
folder) to the clipboard, made a backup copy of 2.03's as-installed
*.default folder (just in case) and then deleted the contents of that
folder. I then Pasted the copied contents of 1.1.18's *.slt into 2.03's
new *.default folder. That folder, containing 2.03's config files,
is in
the new 2.03-created Seamonkey folder visible from:

C:\Documents and Settings\[myname]\Application Data\Mozilla

Et voila.

This is the best recipe to have a lot of garbled and useless data even
in your future, and that's why migration selectively copies only the
really needed data and what can safely be migrated without disturbing
your existence.

Robert Kaiser

As it happens nothing appears to be garbled, and I'm down to tweaking
the small settings. What would you have had me do, after the wizard
failed and nothing else worked except what I described?

Craig

Transfer only the selected data you really needed, such as your email
files, bookmarks, cookies, etc.

SeaMonkey 2.0 ans sm 1.1 are very, very different programs. By copying
over the entire profile, you are moving all kinds of data that does not
apply to SM 2, and can cause problems. So far you seem to be lucky, but
something may yet happen. For your sake, I hope not. The best case is
there a lot of stuff in the profile that is just taking up space. The
worst case it that it might cause corruption in the future.

I was lucky in that all the profiles I transferred came through with no
issues. Had I had a problem, I would have created a new, clean profile
in SM 2, opened Mail/News, and recreated my mail accounts in the order I
had them in SM 1.1.18. T would then close SeaMonkey, and move across the
appropriate subfolders from the old profile to the new. After openinf SM
and verifying that the data is there, I would have closed SM and moved
bookmarks, passwords and cookies. For my use, that is all I need. Any
extensions or themes need to be reinstalled anyway.

Tried as you suggested after a little more creative directory backing up. The upshot is, it didn't work, and I don't propose wasting more time on it. What I've got works: All accounts, emails, passwords, permissions, et al are all in good working order and display and edit correctly in their respective manager screens. Perhaps my setup is a very simple one.

If anyone has, say, a list of specific files to beware of, or measures to take, I'll take another look at it. In the meantime I'll let sleeping dogs lie until they stop breathing. In which case there's still 1.1.18.

A question for the developers: In the installation there's a target field, displaying the default target, with a Browse button beside it. WHY is that button there if you already KNOW installing to an alternative destination will likely fail?

Craig