Mark Hansen wrote:
On 2/28/2010 10:24 AM, Frog wrote:

I have discovered that I may have a profile situation that needs to be
fixed.  When I click Start>ALL Programs>SeaMonkey>Profile Manager I see
nothing but Default listed under Available Profiles. When I click on Default, I am taken to the 2.0.3 browser page. I thought I understood that my 1.1.8 Profile would automatically be copied to 2.0.3--was I wrong? Should I do something about the Default profile situation? Can I simply rename the Default entry to some other name or should I make a new Profile? Will a new profile know all of the settings that were moved from 1.1.18 to 2.0.3? Is it likely that fixing this situation will fix my "Go" problem?
Guidance welcomed.

Frog

Remember all the work you did to create SM 1.1.X and SM 2.X versions
of the shortcuts on your desktop?

Yes, accomplished with much help and guidance from you.

Well, you didn't do that for the Start menu. What you have in the
start menu is what was placed there my the last SM installation that
was done.

So what I see when I click start>All Programs>SeaMonkey belongs to 2.0.3. Should I find a way to also include a Start menu entry for 1.1.18? If so, how do I do that?

Also, keep in mind that when you look at the SM 1.1.X profile manager,
you're looking at the SM 1.1.X profiles only - not the SM 2.X profiles.

How do I look at the 1.1.18 Profile Manager? This entry no longer exists in my Start menu.

Similarly, when you're running the SM 2.X profile manager, you're looking
at the SM 2.X profiles only.

I am of the belief that the Profile Manager entry I am looking at (default) is the one for 2.0.3. Is that correct? I do not have any SeaMonkey items open, when I visit the Start menu Profile Manager.

The other rule about running only one version of SM at a time apply here
as well. If you have SM 1.1.X open, and you attempt to launch the SM 2.X
profile manager, you're going to get the SM 1.1.X profile manager.

I understand--I think. Here is the way I am looking at this 1.1.18 and 2.0.3 situation. I can have only one version open at a time. I can have the browser and mail page open simultaneously for only one version of SeaMonkey at a time. I have to have SeaMonkey turned off (both versions) in order to see the Start menu>All Programs>SeaMonkey>Profile Manager. Have I got that right?

Finally, your SM 1.1.X profile settings were not "moved" to the newly-
created SM 2.X profile - They were "migrated". The SM 1.1.X profile
will still exist, untouched by the migration. The SM 2.X profile will
exist completely separate from the SM 1.1.X profile.

This is where I get a little fuzzy with my thinking. I do hear what you are telling me--my problem likely has to do with my limited technical knowhow. I do understand that my 1.1.18 profile continues to exist someplace--just not presently accessible from the Start Menu.

I have been using 1.1.18, subsequent to installing 2.0.3, for accessing the web and my mail. Version 1.1.18 appears to be working normally. That tells me that my profile is alive and well someplace--just not showing on the Start menu.

I know that the ICONs for 2.0.3 on the Desktop are working and they take me to the 2.0.3 browser or the mail page, as appropriate. The SeaMonkey entry that exists in the Start menu belongs to 2.0.3. The Start menu>All Programs>Seamonkey entry belongs to 2.0.3. The Profile Manager for the listed Start>SeaMonkey>Profile Manager (default) is also tied to 2.0.3.

Note that I have only one profile for 1.1.18, and now it appears that I have one profile (default) on 2.0.3.

Does any of what I have written here make sense? If not, I will try again.

I hope this helps clear some things up for you.

Best Regards,

I really appreciate your patience and help. I would be totally lost without help from individuals like yourself.

Frog