Daniel wrote:
Frog wrote:
I was reading one of Daniel's responses in a earlier thread (titled
"Re: SM 2.04 - compacting folders at convenient times") where he
stated the following:

Does your wife have all her mail in a single folder or has she broken
the mail up into yearly folder for different mail, e.g. I store all my
past mail in folders under the Local Folders as 2009_Family,
2008_Family, 2009_Work, 2008_Work, etc., etc..

Are the instructions for how to establish such folders available on
the web? If I eventually establish such folders on my system, are they
accessible from within Mozilla (same at the Inbox) or are they opened
via some other reader?

I know that this question is below the elementary level for most
people; however, I don't know how to make this happen so I am asking
the question. I would appreciate gaining access to information on the
procedures for building such folders under the Local Folder heading.

Thanks for any help sent my way on this subject.

Frog

I now have sub-folders to my Inbox---I'm happy. I did what I should have
done at the beginning---looked under SeaMonkey Help and found the
answer. Here is what I saw:

Creating a Folder
To create a message folder, begin from the Mail window.
1. Open the File menu, choose New, and then Folder. You see the New
Folder dialog box.
2. Type the name of the folder.
3. Click the drop-down list and choose a folder location and click OK.
Your new folder appears in your Mail Folders list.

I followed the three steps and it worked. I ended up with an Inbox.sbd
folder under Inbox with a sub-folder under that named Frog. I next added
a message to this folder and that worked. I then clicked the added
message and it opened in a SeaMonkey Mail window. Here is how it looked
Windows Explorer:

Local Folders
Inbox
Inbox.sbd
Frog

I presume that any additional folders will find their way under
Inbox.sbd. In any event, I am now off to organizing my messages.

Thanks again for the responses.

Frog

Frog, as I understand it, you have not achieved much, because the
inbox,sbd is still in the inbox, anything you stick in the inbox.sbd is still, sort of, in the inbox. If anything, you have increased the size of the inbox because of the overheads in setting up the inbox.sbd.

I understand. The way I set up the folder(Frog) remains a part of the overall Inbox. Thus, the compacting process will not be decreased at all using this method. Clearly, that was not the goal I was attempting to accomplish. I wanted to find a way to save important messages without printing them; to decrease the number of messages living in the Inbox and Sent folders, and to make compacting quicker.

IMO you would be better off having the new mail boxes at the same level as your inbox, i.e. make them sub-folders of your mail account rather than sub-folders of your inbox.

I think I know what you are recommending here but I need additional guidance. Here is a Windows Explorer snip to help us understand what I am seeing:

(Path for SeaMonkey 1.1.18)
C:\Documents and Settings\Frog\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\Frog-SeaM\g62n48iz.slt\Mail\Local Folders

(Path for SeaMonkey 2.0.4)
C:\Documents and Settings\Frog\Application Data\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\Profiles\5v3u7ibc.default\Mail\Local Folders

Are you suggesting that my archive folders should be established as sub folders to the Local Folder? If so, I am back to not knowing how to make this happen. While following the SeaMonkey Help instructions, I am given the option of making sub-folders to Inbox, Sent, Drafts, and Trash--no Local Folders option is available. I then opened Windows Explorer and created a Folder under Local Folders. I next attempted to move a message from my Inbox to the new folder by right clicking a message and selecting Move TO. The options presented did not include my new Frog folder. It is likely that I could get the message to the new folder by right clicking the message and selecting the Send To option--I didn't try that possibility. If I do use the Send To option, will messages opened in the Frog folder open in SeaMonkey?

As you can see, I need guidance on what and how to accomplish this simple task for most---but not so simple for me.

IMO, of course.

Daniel

Thanks,
Frog