Paul wrote:
chicagofan wrote:
Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
chicagofan wrote:

How do I determine why I can't see the pictures in a slide show at the
link below? I mean, how can I determine what app I need, or have that
isn't working... or just what the problem is?

At this link [below], I was trying to look at the picture link, down on
the left side of the page. It's above the video, which plays just fine.

<http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2010/05/02/nyregion/20100502_TIMESSQUARE.html>

TIA... for any advice...

When I right-click on the first slide and choose "Properties," I get:
Location: http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/misc/pixel.gif
Width: 600px
Height: 451px
Size of file: 0.04 KB (43 bytes)
Alternate text: Missing

However, when I paste that URL into another window and try to view it,
it turns out it's just a 1x1 dot. Same thing if I right-click and choose
"View Image."

On the other hand, by examining the page source code, I identified this
JPEG as the image they're hiding:
<http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2010/05/02/nyregion/20100502_TIMESSQUARE-slide-M2HN/20100502_TIMESSQUARE-slide-M2HN-slide.jpg>

Apparently they're displaying it as a "background," with a transparent
GIF in front of it to prevent you from figuring out where it is. Do you
have backgrounds disabled?

Now it's my turn. Video? What video?

LOL! Down below the fixed picture [with the link to a slide show of
other images] on the first page, was a video of the guy taking his
shirt off, which the news shows are running. :)

About the JPEG images, I don't know why I couldn't see them. As far as
I know, I don't have backgrounds disabled. I'll look around as see
what I can find, now that you've identified what they're using. Thanks!
bj

The slide show works great for me.
But I don;t see any hint of a video.

Same here - works fine. Where's the video? I don't see it.