On 6/27/10, Jens Hatlak <j...@junetz.de> wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>> According to the OP on 6-26-10:
>>
>> SeaMonkey doesn't give me the option to automatically save certain
>> file types - the latest example being
>> http://www.cacetech.com/sharkfest.09/DT5_Varenni_WinPcapDosDonts.pptx
>>(...)
>> and the 'Do this automatically for files like this from now on.' line
>> is greyed out.
>
> SeaMonkey stores download associations per MIME type. The problem with
> the download from the address above is that it is delivered with MIME
> type text/plain. That is, like application/octet-stream, too generic to
> be stored. You wouldn't want any text file to be opened with the program
> you choose for this .pptx file, right?

The only times I can remember SM asking what to do with a .txt file
was when I held down the shift key & clicked on the link.  And yet SM
asked me if I want to open the .pptx file with Open Office or save
it..  It doesn't display the file (which it does for *.txt files), nor
does it ask if I want to open it with notepad (the registered handler
for .txt files)  So it seems like there's more going on than mime type
sniffing.

Dunno if this is related, since FTP doesn't have mime types:
ftp://ftp.ee.lbl.gov/
if I click on the link for draft-ietf-avt-jpeg-02.txt SM displays the
file.  It doesn't ask me what app to use to open the file or if I want
to save it.  Click on a link to a .Z file and SM asks if I want to
open it with 7Zip or save it.  Again, sure seems like SM looks at the
file extension before deciding what to do with a file

> The only way how to solve this issue is by fixing the source, i.e. the
> web server that delivers that file (cacetech.com).

The other source that could be fixed is SeaMonkey.  As Paul wrote on
Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 12:36 AM :
>I use old 1117.
>Edit/prefs/Navigator/helper apps \ new type \ name it something
>\ then extension pptx.  I just tried it and it works for me.

That's the way I remember it working.  I'd like that behavior back.
Even if the new mime type sniffing (or whatever it's called) is
technically more correct, the old method is more user friendly

> You can find out about these issues by either using the Live HTTP
> Headers extension or using the wget command line tool (available by
> default on most Linux machines) with the -S parameter.

I used wireshark, which was a bit of a pain for checking the
downloaded file's mime type.  I'll take a look at the extension

Thanks,
Lee