On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 08:57:38 +0100, Ray wrote:

> One was called "Payroll summary - April 10.doc" and SM
> gave me the choice to open or save, and the other was called "Membership
> figures for July 2010" and the option to open it was missing and I was
> offered only to save it.

Assuming that you've quoted the file names correctly, I can see one
reason why it might not have offered you that option: the second file has
no extension, and SM might be set not to offer an Open With option when
that happens.  Personally, I'd think that this would be the best time to
offer it, but it's not completely unreasonable.

--
Joe Zeff -- The Guy With The Sideburns:
http://www.zeff.us http://www.lasfs.info