On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 12:44:36 -0400, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:

> But what I've always wondered is, how do those people not get fired?

Two reasons, probably.  First, we had a database of possible solutions
for various issues; as most of them had multiple suggestions, there was a
good chance that a support-monkey would pick a wrong one at random, as
they didn't know enough to tell which one was probably right.  And, of
course, when (not if) it didn't work, they could say, "But I followed the
walk-through!"  The second reason was that their leads often knew little
if anything more than they did, being more manager than tech.

I once spoke to a caller who was on his fifth call for the same issue.
The first tech had decided to remove and replace Dial-Up Networking,
which IMAO wasn't indicated.  When it didn't work, the next three "techs"
he spoke to clearly were suffering from The Bullwinkle Syndrome: "This
time, for *sure!*"  Instead, I Did The Right Thing: I went over their
configuration and corrected several errors in it, after which everything
worked.  The funny thing is, we were judged, largely, on the average call-
time and my way was much faster.

I've even written a short book on my experiences: http://www.xlibris.com/
FearandLoathinginTechSupport.html

--