Antman008 wrote:
Robert Kaiser wrote:
Ant schrieb:
I know this has been discussed before a while ago with v2.0.5 updater,
but is it me or did v2.0.5 did not prompt me that there is an 2.0.6
update?

We never did prompt for 2.0.x security updates, so why should we start
now?

Robert Kaiser

Robert,

I know in the past I had seen prompts.

Just my 2 cents on this whole matter... Of course I want the latest
updates, and of course I want to install them as soon as it is
convenient, but the reason I would like to be informed first is that I
used SM for work. I don't want to be in a presentation to a room full of
people, and when I start my browser to look up something online, it
starts updating itself. That's going to #1 delay my progress and waste
my viewers time, and #2, cause me to lose more time while I stop to
notify my companies virus scanner that this new program that is
installing itself is not a malignant program. It takes a few minutes for
me to train the virus checker not to attack new versions of SM when they
install. I just want to make sure I'm at a good stop point to do that. I
don't let Microsoft automatically update my Windows system either. I let
MS notify me that an update is available, and then, at a time of my
choosing, I install the updates as soon as possible. It's not about
being un-secure or un-safe on the internet... it's about allowing the
user to stop whatever work he's doing at that moment, save his progress,
and then apply the update when he is ready.

I can't remember how far back it was (or what version it was), but I
remember one of these SM udpates had an issue that was identified and
quickly fixed. That update prompted, and I didn't install right away,
but I was lucky enough to read the forums beforehand and waited until
the fixed version went online. If everything had been auto-updated, that
could have been a bigger problem than it turned out to be.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. I appreciate all the work the SM team does, and
I really like the software... but the "option" for a prompt would make
the tool more pleasant for everyone involved.

Thx,
Antman008

My suggestion would be that when my SeaMonkey gets notified there is an update available, a screen pops up asking if we wanted to download and install the update, with buttons for "Download Now, apply at next start up" and "Tell me next time I start up" and " Don't Bother Telling me", or that sort of thing, anyway.

Now if only I had the skill and could set this up.......

Daniel