Ed Mullen wrote:
Robert Kaiser wrote:
Daniel schrieb:
Ant wrote:
On 7/21/2010 8:32 PM PT, Daniel typed:

Antman, if you have a look at Edit->Preferences->Advanced->Software
installation, you may may be able to set things up the way you want!!
May!!

Daniel, I don't see an option to automatically/silent install or prompt
before installing.

When I brought up a similar line of discussion a while back, I think the
line put out was "These are security updates, they are good for you, you
don't need to know about it, it will just happen!".

I can, sort of, see the point, but if there are still people using SM
1.x.x because they don't like some of the additional/subtractions, there
might also be those that want to stick with 2.0.4 and not upgrade, but
they don't get that option.

Why? 2.0.x security updates don't introduce any functional changes, only
security and stability updates as well as fixes to annoying actual bugs.
I see no reason why anyone would want to stay on more broken releases
with the same functionality.

Perhaps because I don't want YOU to change MY system? Especially without
asking me. This is the kind of thing for which Microsoft and other Big
Brother type entities have been criticized. That an Open Source
initiative should do it is, well, strange, to say the least.

And, I will say, MS has given me the choice. Windows can be set to alert
me to updates and ask me if I want to apply them. And I have the choice.

It is MY computer. It is MY software. How much more simply can this be
expressed?

Do not screw with my system. Simply ask me. How hard is that?

To perform what you need, you can have the detour i choiced:
1. I have disabled any automatic update (Edit preferences Advanced Sotware-Installation (all options not crossed) 2. I have put my home page here -> http://www.seamonkey-project.org/start/ So i am *notified* *when* a new version is released.
3. When and only when i agree to upgrade i do:
3a. When SM is not running i copy the profiles
3b. Using "Control-panel" - "add-remove programs" i remove SM 2.0.4
3c. Download the full 2.0.4 SM program and french dictionary + French Spell-checker
3d. Install the new version SM 2.0.6.