In <news:l6cdnxkd_oiiwmprnz2dnuvz_umdn...@mozilla.org>,
Stanimir Stamenkov <s7a...@netscape.net> wrote:

> Sat, 07 Aug 2010 19:49:51 -0700, /NoOp/:
>
> > The following is not intended in any way to disparage the mailing
> > list subscribers used as an example[1], particularly since I
> > realize that some use clients other than Mozilla. However it would
> > be helpful if mail list subscribers could configure their mail
> > clients so that their replies stay within the original thread.
> > Example:
>
> The problem is know and is not related to usage of specific client -
> it is caused by the Mozilla's email->newsgroups gateway. Don't know
> when it would be fixed, though.
>
> "Frequently broken threading in Mozilla Newsgroups"
> <http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.dev.apps.firefox/browse_frm/thread/34fcea068df9212b/740106a53bef7ac6?#740106a53bef7ac6>

It's not at all clear from that thread what problem might exist with
the way the gateway is set up or what might fix it.

One claim that's made in that thread is that Message-IDs are changed as
messages pass through the gateway from mail to news or vice versa, but I
can't reproduce that.

I just made a test thread (in mozilla.test/test[at]lists.mozilla.org)
in which I made an OP via the NNTP server, replied via the ML, then
made a couple more replies downthread, alternating between the two
posting methods.  The gateway did nothing to break threading;
Message-IDs and References are preserved as the posts pass through the
gateway, so they appear the same whether reading the post through the
NNTP server or the mail server.

(For the mailing list posts, I do see different MIDs for the copies in
my 'sent' folder, since the ML does use its own MID rather than the
client-suggested one , but this wouldn't break threading unless people
are using their 'sent' folders to read the list replying to their own
posts in the 'sent' folder.)

AFAICT, there are two ways that threading becomes "broken" by use of
the mailing list:

1)  People use e-mail clients which don't include References or
In-Reply-To headers.  Neither of these headers is required by the RFCs
which give the standards for e-mail format (RFCs 822, 2822, and 5322).

2)  People reply to digests, which of course have different Message-ID
headers than the individual messages.

IMO, people should not be discouraged from using any
standards-compliant e-mail client, should not be discouraged from
replying to digests, and should not be discouraged from using the
mailing list at all.  This rules out all "solutions" to (1) and (2),
but again, this is just my opinion.

If there is an actual problem with the mail/news gateway configuration,
the thing to do would be to file a bug under the mozilla-org
component.  It would help a lot if there were steps to reproduce the
problem.

The mozilla-org component is also the right place for bugs about
changing or adding web pages at mozilla.org, as NoOp suggested.

mozilla.dev.mozilla-org/dev-mozilla-org[at]lists.mozilla.org would be
the place to discuss any problems with the gateway's configuration if
there are any.

Since I can't find any, I've crossposted this to mozilla.general and set
followups to there.

--
                                    ASCII Ribbon Campaign        \ /