Rickles wrote:
Ed Mullen wrote:
Rickles wrote:
Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
Rickles wrote:
WinXP Pro, SP3 with Security and Critical updates. SM 1.1.19 with
Mulitzilla and IETab.

If you go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/, near the bottom is a
highlight
area called 'Special Reports'. In my SM display, that Special Reports
heading, photo and accompanying byline is always superimposed on text
that is displayed immediately above where the Special Reports area is
supposed to be placed. If I view the page in an IE Tab, everything
renders as it would appear the webmaster intended.

Checking the RUL against the W3C Validator site reports that the
page is
completely XHTML 1.0 Strict compliant.

I am not a programmer, so have no idea how to de-construct a web
page or
style sheet. Can anyone suggest what might be the issue here?

WFM.

Have you specified an unexpectedly large minimum font size?

Font size is set to 100% (original size) on the View menu. Far as I
know, I haven't made any changes to either CSS or chrome to change how
the pages render. Only such changes I've made have to do with Mail/News
views, not the browser.

Doesn't appear to be a font size issue. Try it in Safe Mode. It's
gotta be /something/ in your profile or some extension.

An update to the behavior: roughly a third of the way down the page,
there's a black & grey box called 'My News and Weather Location'. There
are 2 'tabs', one for UK news, one for World. The first selected is
always UK.

First, I deactivated all extensions including Multizilla and restarted,
but this made no difference. Re-enabled everything.

Second, in a brand new profile with no extensions installed, the initial
view of that page is completely normal, but no location is selected
since it's the first visit. Selecting a location updates the page, but
also scrambles the items in the window, and displaces the 'Special
Reports' item lower in the page, same as the original, existing profile.

Can applications from other profiles affect new profiles?

I cannnot imagine such a scenario. But, far out and unlikely things are why I suggested Safe Mode. Did you try that?

I use
Multizilla and IETabs, nothing else, and both are installed to the
original profile only. I've reached the end of what I understand about
chrome and content and overlays. Any suggestions about how to proceed
would be appreciated.

The authors actually seem to be making a special effort to make the page/site friendly to jacking up the font size. So, that's not it.

-  Are you using a theme?
-  Do you have a userChrome.css or userContent.css custom file?

Have you tried Safe Mode?

Try deleting all the cookies for the site.
--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/