Apologies in advance for my strong feelings on this subject... this got to me.

<begin soapbox>

A few observations as I exit;

My response to the message in question was not related to the thread, but it was posted in the thread because it related to a message therein.

The body indicated the specific poster I was asking the question of. the public post opened the response to others who might have information on my question

Subjects are NOT related to message threading... unless of course for those who think subjects relate to threading and attempt to sort posts by subject

The newsreader in subject of this newsgroup (seamonkey) has _zero_ need for quoting other that short quotes to identify the specifics of a specific response.

I find it interesting that the vocal objectors to this point here are comfortable spending far more time, energy and anger in an attempt to ossify a practice that has not been necessary for years rather than learning and using the potential of this software, then introducing that to others and, ultimately, making all posts much easier to read and follow.

Even google groups has understood the negative aspects of nntp quoting and taken steps to automatically remove them unless the user asks for them... and their threads meet the information needs of your demands.

>> Like I preach .. QUOTE !!!! <<

Since I'm not a member of your religion, I'll save you the minimal time that would have been needed to add me to your kill list and leave.

You obviously feel you have the right to impose your rules on users who don't think and work as you do. By contrast, where I have strong feelings about using tolerance of patience in support forums, I don't feel I have the right to impose those requirements on other users.

Intolerance of any kind in any support environment is a major hindrance to finding and providing help... I've been participating in support environments since the single user, 300 baud dial up computers in someone's bedroom in 1983 when there was a specific need for quoting but would have never been tolerated in the barf quantities of quoting used here, but, you are so vocal in your demands that I am sure you have a longer support history than I.

Now, almost thirty years later it's amazing that the few nntp support forums remaining now seem to be dominated by rigid users making archaic demands to post using requirements that software improvements over those decades have removed the need to use. imho, it's not surprising that nntp support forums are disappearing.

Very Sincerely,
Beverly Howard

<end of soapbox>